General Workers Compensation Claim Questions and Answers

Compiled below are the answers to some frequently asked general questions. You are encouraged to speak directly with your claim representative regarding any specific questions you may have pertaining to your claim or benefits.

Q: What is workers compensation?
A: Workers compensation is a state regulated system which provides benefits designed to help you if you are injured on the job or develop a work-related illness. The benefits typically pay for your medical treatment and/or a portion of your lost earnings if you are unable to work due to your injury or illness. Each state has specific guidelines so you are encouraged to speak to your claim representative for more information or to help getting back to work.

Q: Who do I contact if I have questions about workers compensation or its benefits?
A: You should contact your Travelers claim representative.

Q: Do I receive any benefits from workers compensation?
A: If it is determined that your work-related injury or illness claim is compensable under your state's workers compensation laws, you are entitled to receive benefits. Workers compensation helps protect your income by replacing a portion of your lost earnings should you lose time from work because of your work-related injury or illness. Also, workers compensation pays the medical bills associated with treatment for your injury so you will have no out of pocket costs.

Q: Who pays for these benefits?
A: Employers who do not pay for benefits themselves usually purchase workers compensation insurance to cover the benefits. In any event, there is no cost to you. If it is determined that your claim is compensable, and depending upon your state's regulations, the benefits may cover related medical bills, a portion of lost earnings, mileage reimbursement for driving to your medical appointments and elsewhere, prescriptions related to you injury, and other related expenses. Your claim professional can provide answers to your questions regarding specific benefits you may be entitled to.

Q: Can I see my own doctor or change the doctor I am treating with?
A: Whether you may see your own doctor for treatment or change your treating physician depends on state rules and regulations. You should speak to your Travelers claim representative or nurse to discuss whether treatment with your personal doctor will be approved prior to making the change.

Q: What do I need to return to work?
A: You need a medical release from your treating doctor to return to work. You should return to work as soon as you have been given this release and should provide the work release form to your employer. It is important to stay in contact with your employer and your claim representative throughout the claim process and during recovery, even when you are disabled from work.


Q: What happens when I return to work?
A: Your employer may return you to your current assignment if your doctor releases you to return to work without any medical restrictions. If you are given medical restrictions by your doctor, you should immediately contact your employer to determine if there is an alternate job within your medical restrictions that you may do on a temporary basis until a doctor releases you to work without restrictions.

Q: What will happen if I re-injure myself when I return to work?
A: You should immediately let your employer know of your re-injury and report back to your doctor.

Q: Can I ask my employer to do another job if my doctor said I am unable to do my current job?
A: You may ask your employer to perform an alternate job until you are well enough to return to your original position, providing your doctor has released you to return to work with medical restrictions.

Q: Who can tell my employer about the condition that caused my injury/illness?
A: You should let your employer know if you feel that there was a condition at your place of employment that caused your injury and/or illness. This condition can also be discussed with your claim representative.

Q: What do I do if I receive a bill from my doctor?
A: If it has been determined that your work-related injury/illness claim is compensable, you should forward any medical bills to your Travelers claim representative or your employer who will evaluate the bill for payment. You should have no out of pocket expense.